Football Forums 2 way
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portsmouth sign Pennant on loan

Go down

Portsmouth sign Pennant on loan Empty Portsmouth sign Pennant on loan

Post  Admin Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Portsmouth have signed Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant on loan until the end of the season.

The 26-year-old has played only four times for the Reds this season and had been linked with a move to Real Madrid.

"I've known him for a long time - we were together at Arsenal a long, long time ago," Portsmouth boss Tony Adams told the club website.

"He was a very exciting prospect. He's quick and very technically gifted and he can have a go at defenders."

Pennant began his career with Notts County and made headlines when Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger paid £2m for him as a 15-year-old in 1999.

But he failed to live up to expectations at the Gunners, and was loaned out to Watford, Leeds and Birmingham before joining the Blues on a permanent deal in 2005.

He moved to Liverpool in 2006, and has made 81 appearances for the club since joining them for a fee of £6.7m.

His appearances for the Reds this season have been severely limited, but he insisted last week that he wanted to stay at Anfield.

606: DEBATE
What do you think of the signing?
"My preference is to stay at Liverpool and I am still hoping to do so. I do not want to leave," Pennant said.

"I am happy to compete for my place here and hope that I am given the chance to do so."

But now he has made the switch, Adams is looking forward to reuniting Pennant with a former Liverpool team-mate to good effect.

"I saw him play with Peter Crouch for Liverpool at Fulham last year and he was constantly getting past their left-back and getting crosses in for Crouchie," he added.

From Bbc Football

Admin
Admin

https://hbk48942.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down