Football Forums 2 way
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blades seal Ward deal

Go down

Blades seal Ward deal Empty Blades seal Ward deal

Post  Admin Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Sheffield United have completed the signing of Chesterfield striker Jamie Ward for a £333,000 fee.

The 22-year-old has caught the eye this season at Saltergate and his 16 league and cup goals have now secured a switch to Championship promotion hopefuls Sheffield United.

Earlier in the month it had looked as though Ward would make a move to Barnsley but the player failed to agree personal terms after discussions with the Tykes.

Ward has spoken of his delight at making the step-up and is determined to quickly adjust to life in English football's second tier.

"I'm delighted with the move, it is another step for me. Hopefully I can prove myself and I'm confident that I can," he told the club's website.

"Reading the papers, I knew there was interest from Sheffield United and I was waiting for the right club to come along."
Development player

Blades boss Kevin Blackwell insists Ward has not been brought to Bramall Lane as a direct replacement for James Beattie and insists the player should be given time to prove himself.

"I have brought him here primarily as a development player. He is under no pressure because I haven't signed him to replace anybody, but to gradually develop into a first-team player. How soon, we shall see.

"He has been on our doorstep and we have watched and monitored him for a while. From all reports he is hard working and has topped the goalscoring charts at a team that has been struggling to some extent, so that speaks volumes for him.

"He has pace and we have always said that we need to add that to the squad, so he ticks a box in that respect.

"Jamie can play in a couple of roles, out wide or behind the main striker, so he has more than one string to his bow and it enables us to make changes during a game if we need to.

"He reminds me very much of the likes of Andy Johnson and Paul Peschisolido - very tenacious with a turn of pace and technically decent."

From Sky Sports

Admin
Admin

https://hbk48942.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum