Portsmouth sign Pennant on loan

Go down

Portsmouth sign Pennant on loan

Post  Admin on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Portsmouth have signed Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant on loan until the end of the season.

The 26-year-old has played only four times for the Reds this season and had been linked with a move to Real Madrid.

"I've known him for a long time - we were together at Arsenal a long, long time ago," Portsmouth boss Tony Adams told the club website.

"He was a very exciting prospect. He's quick and very technically gifted and he can have a go at defenders."

Pennant began his career with Notts County and made headlines when Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger paid £2m for him as a 15-year-old in 1999.

But he failed to live up to expectations at the Gunners, and was loaned out to Watford, Leeds and Birmingham before joining the Blues on a permanent deal in 2005.

He moved to Liverpool in 2006, and has made 81 appearances for the club since joining them for a fee of £6.7m.

His appearances for the Reds this season have been severely limited, but he insisted last week that he wanted to stay at Anfield.

606: DEBATE
What do you think of the signing?
"My preference is to stay at Liverpool and I am still hoping to do so. I do not want to leave," Pennant said.

"I am happy to compete for my place here and hope that I am given the chance to do so."

But now he has made the switch, Adams is looking forward to reuniting Pennant with a former Liverpool team-mate to good effect.

"I saw him play with Peter Crouch for Liverpool at Fulham last year and he was constantly getting past their left-back and getting crosses in for Crouchie," he added.

From Bbc Football

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hbk48942.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down